Blogger SEO title tag and twitter sharing

Questions and discussion about web design, search engine optimisation and hosting
Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2017-7-24 12:27

Blogger has a serious issue in the default template regarding title tag and sharing blog posts on twitter. By default blogger is adding blog title in the beginning of the page title which will hurt the SEO of your blog. You need to get your blog post title first, and only after that the blog title.

You can fix the issue by editing your template (Blogger -> Themes -> Edit html). Before you edit the template, make sure to backup your template and copy your custom CSS (Blogger -> Theme -> Customise -> Advanced -> Add CSS) to notepad. There is a bug in blogger that will reset your custom CSS whenever you edit your template. I have reported to Google.

Find the following text from Theme source code

Code: Select all

<title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
and replace it with this code

Code: Select all

<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == &quot;index&quot;'>
  <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>
<b:else/>
  <b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == &quot;archive&quot;'>
    <title><data:blog.pageName/></title>
  <b:else/>
    <title><data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/></title>
  </b:if>
</b:if>
    <meta content='summary_large_image' name='twitter:card'/>
Now your title tag is fine. To test the fix, share one of your blog postings on twitter. You should see a photo from your blog post, title and description instead of a plain link.

Michaelchove

Unread post by Michaelchove » 2018-7-19 22:42

Wordpress would be one of the best platform that you can use to create a site and install tools like seo plug ins.

Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2018-7-20 22:20

Michaelchove wrote:
2018-7-19 22:42
Wordpress would be one of the best platform that you can use to create a site and install tools like seo plug ins.
If with WordPress I could create fast loading, error free websites that are not easy to hack, then why not. Unfortunately that is not the case.

TimothyHew

Unread post by TimothyHew » 2019-2-2 21:13

What are the important SEO-friendly plugins that should be used for a Wordpress site?

Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2019-2-3 08:16

TimothyHew wrote:
2019-2-2 21:13
What are the important SEO-friendly plugins that should be used for a Wordpress site?
Plugins can´t fix wordpress, they just make it worse. Many of them contain security issues, html coding errors and in general they just make wordpress even slower. People don´t want to wait 30 seconds for a website to load especially when they use them with mobile devices.

niharika

Unread post by niharika » 2019-3-7 11:13

Thank you for this information.

byronstork

Unread post by byronstork » 2019-5-15 12:29

Thanks Ron. I was thinking that was the case, but wasnt sure. This SEO is all new to me.