GoDaddy is pushing Website Backup by jamming websites

Questions and discussion about web design, search engine optimisation and hosting
Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2019-6-12 06:16

There is a very simple and effective way to take MySQL database backups using mysqldump. In most shared hosting services you can make database backups automatic by adding the following command to cron:

Code: Select all

nice -n 19 /usr/bin/mysqldump -h DBSERVERHOSTNAME DATABASENAME | nice -n 19 gzip > $HOME/db-backup.sql.gz
and the following configurations to your home directory to the file .my.cnf:

Code: Select all

[mysqldump]
user = YOURDBUSERNAMEHERE
password = YOURDBPASSWORDHERE
However, this does not work on GoDaddy thanks to GoDaddy promoting aggressively their Website Backup product. When they detect mysqldump, memory usage and I/O pikes causing faults and resulting in GoDaddy jamming arbitrarily web traffic by killing httpd processes. They also send to their victims a spam telling about reaching resource limits and encouraging them to purchase more expensive hosting services. You can check your resource limits from cPanel CPU and Concurrent Connection Usage.

Dear GoDaddy, is sabotaging your customers really worth the 3 €/month extra you make by selling your useless Website Backup product?

I don't think so. How about you?