How to play World of Tanks without Wargaming Game center

Online multiplayer game videos and discussion
Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2019-11-5 06:30

Last year Wargaming introduced to the players on Russian servers Wargaming Game Center (WGGC). I installed it and it immediately messed up my Windows 7 so badly that I had to reinstall it. Unfortunately WGGC was not optional so I had no other option but to move on EU servers. Yesterday Wargaming announced that WGGC must be used in EU, too, starting from today. I found the following way to install, play and update the game without WGGC and I have been testing it for a few weeks now on Russian servers without any problems.

How to play World of Tanks without Wargaming Game center?

First you need to download and run one of the following legacy installers depending on your region:
After you have installed World of Tanks with the installer, you can start the game by running the following executable for the installation directory which you selected during the installation:

Code: Select all

WorldOfTanks.exe
World of Tanks will not start if there are new updates available. In that case you need to first run this legacy updater to update your client:

Code: Select all

WoTLauncher.exe
This way you will be able to play World of Tanks without Wargaming Game center.

Instructions for changing the language your World of Tanks client

WGGC is dangerous bloatware, spyware, and adware

After the crash I started investigating WGGC and noticed that it is checking computer and sending data back to Russians. The installation package is rather big and includes a lot of unnecessary functionality making it less secure than the old, simple launcher. WGGC is also spamming advertisements just like malware. I understand that Wargaming needs to spam and spy players, but if the price is introducing security vulnerabilities, is it really worth the risk? Or losing players who do not want to get their computers messed up? I don't think so.

NickelB

Unread post by NickelB » 2019-12-10 16:18

i downloaded your file, and when it started to install it went right trought the shit of getting to game center, so it still does not work.

Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2019-12-11 08:19

Hi NickelB, thanks for sharing your experience. Same happened to me. After it had downloaded and installed WGC, it messed up my computer again. I uninstalled the game and quit playing it. Unfortunately it's not worth the shit they are putting us through.

jannanos

Unread post by jannanos » 2020-4-5 20:08

Hello!

Does this still work? Because I am struggling for days with installing the WGC and WoT after it told me I had to reinstall it. When WGC starts and it downloads WoT it stops at ca. 15% and says "Couldnt handle apllication files in E/... (2012) please try again later". I did six or seven reinstalls til now. Still happens everytime. I tried to delete the mentioned file (I read about this methode in the forum) but it didnt work. In worst case, it got me to another error.
Its not a PC problem, I have enough ressources/power etc.. Its also not an internet or antivirus problem, everything else downloads just fine and I put the installfolders as execptions for the antivirus-researches...
I just want to play WoT again, I played for years and now, because of the WGC, I cant play anymore. I will try your solution. If it does not work, Ill give a update. And maybe someone here has an idea to solve the WGC problem (not difficult to post here btw)?

Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2020-4-6 02:02

Hello! Sorry to hear about your problems. The only way out I know is to re-install your operating system. WGGC has already messed up my computer twice so badly that I quit playing the game. Don't both reporting any issues to them, they just reply with irrelevant canned messages avoiding responsibility.

Santeri

Unread post by Santeri » 2020-5-10 08:19

I found a solution to make the game work again. Just use Game Center for for updates and kill it before you play the game. And then remove from the game WargamingErrorMonitor.exe (this nasty spyware is causing the game to crash and mess up computers).